Monday, December 12, 2011

Two-For-One Deal!

     At this time of year, who doesn't love a two-for-one deal? Ha! Well, you're getting one because I was too lazy to post one yesterday (and the power cord of my laptop is temperamental and has chosen not to work for the past few days.) 

     The two recipes tonight are Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole and Weekday Lasagna, both received a thumbs up by my test audience (however, I had to give Christopher the casserole without the broccoli!)


Cheesy Broccoli Rice Casserole - Slow CookerFrom the Fix It And Forget It Big Cookbook - by Phyllis Pellman Good

Makes 8 servings, 200 calories each
Points Plus Values: 4

Ingredients:
1 c long-grain rice, uncooked
3 c water
2 tsp. low sodium chicken bullion granules 
10 3/4 oz can fat-free, low sodium cream of chicken soup
2 c chopped, cooked chicken breast
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion salt
1 c shredded, fat-free cheddar cheese
16 oz bag of frozen broccoli, thawed

I boiled my chicken with garlic and parsley for extra flavor.

1. Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker, except the broccoli.

2. One hour before end of cooking time, stir in the broccoli.

3. Cook on high for a total of 3-4 hours, or on low for a total of 6-7 hours.

Tip: If the casserole is too runny as the end of cooking time nears, remove lid from slow cooker for 15 minutes while continuing to cook on high.
Leftovers!



Weekday Lasagna - From the Comfort Food Diet Cookbook
Makes 9 servings, 280 calories each
Points Plus Values: 7

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped (I just added onion powder, family not a big fan of onions!)
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 3/4 c water (I forgot to add this, it was perfect without...)
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 envelope spaghetti sauce mix *
1 egg, beaten
2 c fat free cottage cheese
2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
6 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 c shredded mozzarella cheese

* Spaghetti Sauce Mix: I could NOT find this in the store. My mom and I decided that it was probably a mix of spices for sauce, so we figured regular spaghetti sauce spices would be cool, I used:
Oregano, Parsley, Basil, Onion Salt, Garlic Powder
I just added to taste, and I would have used onion powder if I hadn't run out!

     In a large sauce pan, cook the beef and onion over medium  heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the tomatoes, water (remember, I forgot this!), tomato paste and spaghetti sauce mix.Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
Cheese mixture

meat sauce

     In a small bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese and Parmesan cheese. Coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 2 cups of the meat sauce on the bottom. Layer with three noodles (I thought this was a small amount, but it works!) half of the cottage cheese mixture and half of the meat sauce. Repeat layers.
Almost done with layers!

Ready to go!

     Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is melted. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting.

Delicious dinner for TWO nights!

I served this with a salad (getting in my 2 tsp of healthy oil!) and a piece of regular wheat bread with butter and garlic powder, toasted in the toaster oven! Yum!

     I hope you all like these recipes, they have been great here at home! 









No comments:

Post a Comment