Saturday, January 21, 2012

Turkey Swedish Meatballs & Home Made Tortillas/Enchiladas!

     I have been away for a while - and while I do promise to get the Alfredo sauce recipe as well as my meatballs, I have others that I want to share more!

     First are the turkey Swedish meatballs from the South Beach Diet Quick & Easy cookbook. It is a recipe I got from a friend and LOVE!


South Beach Diet - Turkey Swedish Meatballs

Makes 4 servings, 180 calories each
Points Plus Values: 5

Ingredients:
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 cup lower-sodium chicken broth *
3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream *
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

* at times I have added MORE of this to make more sauce for the meatballs - adjust your PPV accordingly!

I serve this with rice, quinoa and have also used no-yolk egg noodles. I prefer rice!

Finished meatballs, served with spinach!

1. Mix together salt, allspice, and pepper.
2. Add the turkey and mix in the spices - DO NOT OVER MIX! Shape into 1 inch balls - you can make 24, unless you're like me and as you go, they get bigger and bigger!
3. Heat (HEALTHY! Woo Hoo) oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook until browned.
4. Lower heat to medium and cook 3 more minutes, gently shaking pan (this is pretty fun...). Using a slotted spoon, transfer meatballs to a plate.
5. Add broth to the same skillet, increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
Whisk in sour cream and cook 1 minute more. Add meatballs. Sprinkle with parsley and serve hot.
Recipe from The South Beach Diet® Quick & Easy Cookbook



Next, is the home made tortilla recipe and enchilada sauce. I do not have PPV or calories for these, but they're MIGHTLY tasty! Making tortillas was a lot easier than I thought!


Tortillas - From All Recipes

Makes 10-12 medium sized tortillas

Ingredients:
3 c All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Salt
3/4 c Shortening
3/4 c really hot water (not boiling - but as hot as your can handle it)

1. Combine dry ingredients and cut in shortening until crumbly. Add more shortening if needed.


2. Add enough water to make the dough moist.

3. Knead and add more flour if needed.

4. Let the dough sit for at least a half hour. 

5. Create 10-12 balls (combine for a larger tortilla, I combined two in order to make the enchiladas.) Roll the ball on a floured surface until 1/8 inch thick.

6. In a hot cast iron skillet, cook 1-2 minutes or until not doughy. (be sure to flip!)


Ten Minute Enchilada Sauce  from All Recipes
This is MUCH better than store bought! My husband has an aversion to vinegar and since this recipe doesn't use vinegar, he loves it!

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients:
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 tbsp self rising flour
1/4 c chili powder
1 (8oz) can of tomato sauce
1/4 tsp ground cumin (I never realized this was the spice that made things taste "Mexican"!)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion salt
salt to taste

1. Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.

2. Stir in flour and chili powder, reduce heat to medium and cook until lightly brown (this smells great!) stir constantly to avoid burning.

3. Gradually stir in tomato sauce, water, cumin, garlic powder and onion salt, into the flour and chili powder until smooth.

4. Continue cooking until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes. Season with salt.



To make my enchiladas:

I took a tortilla and covered both sides with sauce, then placed it in the cast iron skillet and browned each side. I placed chicken in the tortilla with some sauce then folded it over the best I could. I placed the tortilla seam down in a baking dish (sprayed with non-stick spray.) After the dish was full, I topped the whole thing with shredded cheese, covered with foil and placed in a 350 degree oven for about 5-10 minutes. We ate this with rice, mexicorn and some sour cream!

Tonite we are having enchiladas again, only with beef! I'm hoping they're going to be fantastic!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment